Yu Yen is a litigator with experience in a wide range of matters including arbitration, adjudication, corporate, commercial and construction disputes. He has appeared in all tiers of the Malaysian Courts. He also regularly advises clients on issues arising from commercial transactions as well as construction projects. Yu Yen is a member of the Bar Council’s Arbitration & Construction Law Committee.
Tel: +603 2715 8678
- Arbitration & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Construction Adjudication
- Corporate & Commercial Litigation
- General & Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Public & Administrative Law – Judicial Review
- Acted in a shareholders’ dispute arising from a sale of land with an estimated value of RM65 million and successfully resisted a ‘just and equitable’ winding up petition.
- Acted for and advised a subsidiary of a major Malaysian oil and gas company in disputes concerning dealership and licensing agreement.
- Acted as junior counsel for the main contractor against the Government of Malaysia in a dispute concerning a contract for the building of the largest hospital and tertiary health centre in the State of Johor with an amount in dispute of more than RM1.2 million.
- Acted as junior counsel for the main contractor against the Government of Malaysia in a dispute concerning a contract for the building of Marine Department Malaysia Complex near the Malaysia most advanced container terminal in the State of Johor with an amount in dispute of more than RM3.4 million.
- Acted for the main contractor in CIPAA proceedings in multiple disputes concerning the construction of a municipal council building in the state of Pahang based on a Public Works Department (PWD) contract with an amount in dispute of more than RM30 million.
- Acted for an associated company of a leading institution of higher learning based in Kuala Lumpur in CIPAA proceedings and substantially reduced the claimant’s claim in a dispute concerning the construction of a resort in the state of Negeri Sembilan with an amount in dispute of more than RM3.6 million.
- Acted as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal and Federal Court in a continuing trespass suit against a major electric utility company in Malaysia.
- Acted as junior counsel in a shareholders’ dispute arising from the directors’ breach of fiduciary duties in dealing with the sale of certain lands worth RM758 million and successfully obtained the winding up order.
- Acted for the main contractors as well as subcontractors in various construction disputes.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
LL.B. (Hons), Northumbria University, 2011
Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya, 2014
Malaysian Bar, 2014
Panel Adjudicator, Asian International Arbitration Centre